.

.

Klik Sini!

Friday, November 26, 2010

***Hanging Garden Babylon***

When I was kid, my mom always tells me about 7 natural wonders of the world compiled by Greek writers.  This is first known list about 7 natural wonders of the world which are:
§  Great Pyramid of Giza
§  Hanging Gardens of Babylon
§  Statue of Zeus at Olympia
§  Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
§  Mausoleum of Maussollos at Halicarnassus
§  Colossus of Rhodes
§  Lighthouse of Alexandria

the old one!!

Regretfully not, just Great Pyramid of Giza still exists until now. Then,  On July 7, 2007 in Lisbon, Portugal a new list of new 7 wonders of the world was announced. The vote was devised by led by Bernard Weber and organised by Swiss government controlled New Seven Wonders Foundation.  This is the following of new 7 wonders of the world:

§  Taj Mahal, Agra, India
§  Chichen Itza, Yucatán, Mexico
§  Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
§  Colosseum, Rome, Italy
§  Great Wall of China, China
§  Machu Picchu, Cuzco, Perú
§  Petra, Jordan

the new one!!

However, I would like to talk about the old one and feel interesting to talk about Hanging Garden Babylon. When I was kid, my mom always tells me about this 7 wonder of the world but I am very interesting about the Hanging Garden Babylon. Curiosity! I always think how one garden can be hanging on the water. (That’s what my mom tell me) hehehe. You know, Imagination all over MY little WORLD. I will imagine the garden will float like ships or boat because it’s hanging right? 

canoe hanging!!
Maybe it’s just like frame of family picture that hanging in wall at home. Hanging right? 


What the material the country use to make the garden still there and so that the garden will not drift into other places? How it can float and not going to be shipwrecked?

imagine the ship is garden J

All of the question always comes in my mind. IMAGINATION lol! So now my age is 20 years old. My mom decides to install wi-fi in our home, so that I can get answer for all my question! Don’t need to ask her. I am going to make own research about my curiosity. Hehehe.  OWN RESEARCH?? Ouch..!!  so, lets start!



According to the history, the first dynasty was build by Hammurabi, the king during the time I guess, maybe he just like Firaun. This happens during Neo-Babylonian after empire of Assyrian. Around 600BC, the king which is Bukhtannasar (Nebuchadnezzar II) was thinking worry about his wife who does not eats and drink for two days because of homesick. The wife is come from Persia very longed for the trees and fragrant plants. In order to make the wife keep happy, the king give instruction to the country make one garden for his wife which is the garden consist of the tress and fragrant plants from his wife’ homeland, Persia.  

Hammurabbi

Nebuchadnezzar
Amuhia or Amytis of Media

The Garden was 100 feet (30 m) long by 100 ft wide and built up in tiers so that it resembled a theatre. It’s a square shape right? 



babylon

Vaults had been constructed under the ascending terraces which carried the entire weight of the planted garden; the uppermost vault, which was seventy-five feet high, was the highest part of the garden, which, at this point, was on the same level as the city walls. It’s just like Cameron Highlands, just like stairs to grown up the plant (that’s what I saw in my car) J.

cameron highlands
The roofs of the vaults which supported the garden were constructed of stone beams some sixteen feet long, and over these were laid first a layer of reeds set in thick tar, then two courses of baked brick bonded by cement, and finally a covering of lead to prevent the moisture in the soil penetrating the roof. On top of this roof enough topsoil was heaped to allow the biggest trees to take root. The earth was leveled off and thickly planted with every kind of tree. And since the galleries projected one beyond the other, where they were sunlit, they contained conduits for the water which was raised by pumps in great abundance from the river, though no one outside could see it being done. It’s located in Iraq. Lastly, the gardens were destroyed by several earthquakes after the second century BC. There only a few sign in the garden after destroyed.

the sign 

Done, interesting story I guess. Actually, this only part of the story behind the Hanging Garden, if you want to know fully story about this garden and the country, you can visit the website:



THE END

p/s: baby: justin bieber hahahaha..:p

No comments: